[pchelpers] Re: Windows Update errors

  • From: Inge <pshebnicki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:30:58 -0400

Ekhart GEORGI wrote:

> Hi Inge (and others fighting with Windows Update errors in the future)
>
> I know, Inge, that your update was eventually installed successfully on
> your computer, but i figured i should help you and others be prepared
> for similar situations in the future. In other words help you understand
> what this was about and whether you should have been worried and how to
> deal with similar situations in the future.
>
> 1) There is no reason to panic if a Microsoft update will not install.
> The scary wording ("could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to
> compromise your system and gain control over it") used in descriptions
> of most updates is only there to prevent lazy, sloppy, careless,
> carefree people from ignoring and not downloading them. Even if you're
> "paranoid" about security, you of course realise that the very fact
> you're asking about an update problem means that you are none of the
> above (lazy, sloppy, etc.) The scary wording usually includes the word
> "could" because the details almost always explain the following (in
> geekier and less direct terms):
>
> 2) Most computers would never be in real danger even if people waited
> several months before they downloaded any Microsoft updates if people
> used common sense, in other words didn't a) visit blatantly shady
> websites or b) installed programs without verifying that these come from
> a reliable source or c) opened email attachments without verifying that
> these are safe. In fact, most computers would never be in danger even if
> people never downloaded any Microsoft updates if people used common
> sense. More info here:
> http://www.local.nu/HelpDesk/index.php/Basics_of_safe_computing
>
> 3) If you want to make sure that an update that is not installing
> automatically is one of the very rare ones that prevent an attack that's
> possible even if users use common sense, in other words the extremely
> rare situation in which an attack is possible without the user first
> doing something that is not safe (and that anyone with a few months of
> computer experience should realise is as dangerous as going into a dingy
> side street and accepting an offer that is too good to be true), simply
> click on the link provided by Microsoft together with the update. This
> will provide vulnerability details (or a link to page with these
> details) that will almost always say something like this:
>
> "The vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution on a client
> system if a user views a specially crafted Web page ... or if an
> attacker succeeds in persuading a user to run a specially crafted ...
> application."
>
> In plain English, this means the same as in 2) above: you're safe if you
> don't a) visit blatantly shady websites or b) install programs without
> verifying that these come from a reliable source or c) open email
> attachments without verifying that these are safe.
>
> 4) If you're annoyed that an update won't install, it's usually very
> [...]

Dear Ekhart,

Words fail me to express my appreciation for your advice. I really
received an education today and I will save your message. It put my
mind at ease. You are correct, I do none of the unsafe things. I am
very careful with what I open and where I visit on the internet.

I do have the computer set to receive the updates and install them
myself. In the future, when I have a problem with installing the
updates, I will do what you recommend in # 6. I will just wait a few
days until it is fixed.

You sure took the "fright" out of me. Thank you from my heart.

Gratefully yours,
Inge