[pchelpers] Re: RJ45 / router

  • From: "PcCowboy" <saddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:57:19 -0500

Your set-up should look like this:
Your XP computer should have a network card with your internet connection.
Then you should have a 2nd network card connecting your XP computer to
your wireless router. You have to use a normal network cable not a "cross-over"
cable.

On your Win98computer you  should have your wireless card. You have to be sure
that your wireless
card is on the same channel as you router. The instruction book should have
step by step
instructions for setting up a home network. My set-up went like this.

Install software for the router. Then shut down the machine and plug in the
cable.
After you go through the Found new hardware wizard you go to the IE explorer
and type in
this address. ( In most cases this is the default address of the router, you
may need to check the book
for the one for your brand.) 192.168.0.1

This will open the set-up/menu options for the router. Find the page where you
can change the router
address. Change it to 192.168.0.55  You will need your internet network card to
have the address
192.168.0.1 cause ICS ( internet connection sharing ) will not work if it isn't.

Now click start\my network places
In that window you will see the options on the left.
Add a network place
view a network place
setup a home of small office network.

Click on the setup a home... and the network wizard will open. Answer the
questions like this "This computer
has a internet connection and I would like the other computers on the network
to share it". And so on.
On the last screen it will ask if you would like to make a setup disk for
another computer on the network.
say yes and insert a floppy.

Now on the 98 computer install the wireless card software.
Turn off computer and install the card. After reboot 98 will see the card
and set it up. If the card is the same brand as the router, in most cases
it will connect to the router without any other setup. Run the software
program that came with the card. In it should be a link test. This will tell
you if it sees the signal from the router and how strong it is.
Now insert the floppy and run the setup program. This will add all the protocols
needed to share folders and printers and ICS.
On my wife's computer (Windows ME) there is two little TV screens that appears
on the bottom tool bar. When you hold your mouse over it a balloon appears
saying
"internet Gateway connected"

Tell me what brand and card you are using. I'm using D-links. If we are using
the same brand
I can give you a step by step listing of my network settings.

And make sure you have a folder "shared" and that the two computers have
different names
and belong to the same workgroup. ( mine is "Home" )

Pc