[pchelpers] Re: Partitions and dual boot

  • From: "John Paul Mays" <dojpaul@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:04:42 -0700

Hi Phil...

check out this site:

 http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/12992.html

----- Original Message -----
From: "POTGN" <potgn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 11:20 pm
Subject: [pchelpers] Partitions and dual boot

| Hello - and help.  My name is Phil and I have just joined this group upon the
advice of one who is already a member.  Said I could get some good advice here.

| My problem is this.  I recently 'had' to buy a new computer because the
motherboard in the old one cooked.  Hey, if you need a reason, I figured that
was a good one.  The new one came with Windows XP Pro, thought this would be a
good idea.  Not.  I have lost the use of several programs that I used a lot and
the use of my scanner.  Past its prime and not to be supported by HP or MS under
the XP regime, so the story goes.  The one good thing to happen was that the
TMSScheduler (DOS) still works.  However the Talk Scheduler (Access 97) does
not.  (I also moved up to Office Pro XP from Office Pro 97)  I had converted the
original Talk Scheduler program to 97 so that I could change some of the forms
as the originals were leaving some information off.  Some of the other Access
files converted to the new program just fine, others not so fine.  A hit and
miss adventure.

| The new machine has an 80 GB HDD, no partitions.  Run Speed Disk on that!  I
was advised to get a program, such as Partition Magic and divide it up into more
meaningful segments.  I have a lot of real estate so why not.  While looking at
this type of program on the net, I found that they talked about dual booting.
If I could do that then I could get my old programs reloaded and files to work
and scanner back.  Then my hands started getting sweaty like just before getting
up and giving a major talk.  I know nothing about either of these aspects.  Of
course all the information from the software company is glowing about how
wonderful its product is.  Then there are the stories floating around about how
horrible things have happened to some who have gone this path.  I don't want to
run into a problem such that I might have to start all over again because of
some little oversight or quirk in some program that 'everyone' knows about, but
me.  I have heard to many things about this registration thing with MS and XP.
I've already had one program that came with the computer stop working on me
after 30 days because I hadn't registered it after looking at it once.  Still
haven't got it running.

| The question I have is, does anyone have any experience using Vcom System
Commander 7 or Power Quest Partition Magic for partitioning a large HDD and
setting it up for a dual boot using different file systems.  Which would be the
easier program, or is there a better program out there to do this?  What kind of
problems might I run into?  I want to run XP and 98SE off the same HDD so I can
get my old programs and equipment working again.