[pchelpers] Re: Partitions and dual boot

  • From: Tonia <ltonwannabe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:30:23 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Phil

Here ya go! All you need to know about dual / multiboot with WinXP. Remember
it's important to follow the order of installation.

 http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/client/prousability.asp

Hope that helps

Tonia

  Nigel <npl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dual booting and maintaining several partitions are two quite different
things.

Partition magic is a great program and it does a really good job of creating
and maintaining partitions.

You need something else to provide the dual boot capability - it used to be
easy with W98, NT4, W2k etc, but I haven't yet tried with XP. You will
find that one or other of the operating systems must be installed first and
the other (or others) subsequently. It is probably quite easy with the lilo
loader that comes with linux, but once again, the os's must be installed in
the right order.

Hopefully this is the start of the good advice!

Cheers
Nigel

> Hello - and help. My name is Phil and I have just joined this group upon
the advice of one who is already a member. Said I could get some good
advice here.

> My problem is this. I recently 'had' to buy a new computer because the
motherboard in the old one cooked. Hey, if you need a reason, I figured
that was a good one. The new one came with Windows XP Pro, thought this
would be a good idea. Not. I have lost the use of several programs that I
used a lot and the use of my scanner. Past its prime and not to be
supported by HP or MS under the XP regime, so the story goes. The one good
thing to happen was that the TMSScheduler (DOS) still works. However the
Talk Scheduler (Access 97) does not. (I also moved up to Office Pro XP from
Office Pro 97) I had converted the original Talk Scheduler program to 97 so
that I could change some of the forms as the originals were leaving some
information off. Some of the other Access files converted to the new
program just fine, others not so fine. A hit and miss adventure.

> The new machine has an 80 GB HDD, no partitions. Run Speed Disk on that!
I was advised to get a program, such as Partition Magic and divide it up
into more meaningful segments. I have a lot of real estate so why not.
While looking at this type of program on the net, I found that they talked
about dual booting. If I could do that then I could get my old programs
reloaded and files to work and scanner back. Then my hands started getting
sweaty like just before getting up and giving a major talk. I know nothing
about either of these aspects. Of course all the information from the
software company is glowing about how wonderful its product is. Then there
are the stories floating around about how horrible things have happened to
some who have gone this path. I don't want to run into a problem such that
I might have to start all over again because of some little oversight or
quirk in some program that 'everyone' knows about, but me. I have heard to
many things about this registration thing with MS and XP. I've already had
one program that came with the computer stop working on me after 30 days
because I hadn't registered it after looking at it once. Still haven't got
it running.

> The question I have is, does anyone have any experience using Vcom System
Commander 7 or Power Quest Partition Magic for partitioning a large HDD and
setting it up for a dual boot using different file systems. Which would be
the easier program, or is there a better program out there to do this? What
kind of problems might I run into? I want to run XP and 98SE off the same
HDD so I can get my old programs and equipment working again.

> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Phil Beasley
> Grover Beach, CA
> potgn@xxxxxxxxxxx

Get personalised at My Yahoo!.