[pchelpers] News:Google admits wi-fi data collection blunder

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PC-Helpers <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 08:00:12 +1200

By Maggie Shiels
Technology reporter, BBC News, Silicon Valley

Google has admitted that for the past three years it has wrongly
collected information people have sent over unencrypted wi-fi networks.

The issue came to light after German authorities asked to audit the data
the company's Street View cars gathered as they took photos viewed on
Google maps.

Google said during a review it found it had "been mistakenly collecting
samples of payload data from open networks".

The admission will increase concerns about potential privacy breaches.

These snippets could include parts of an email, text or photograph or
even the website someone may be viewing.

More here:
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 571215671   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786
Blog http://pc-tech-upper-hutt.blogspot.com/
Get a copy of my novel entitled "Return" at
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1382737