[pchelpers] Biology may beget virus solution

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:06:28 +0300

www.syracuse.com/technology/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-1/108616548240401.xml

Finally, the beginning of a rational solution to the insanity of
viruses, spam, and other malware! They of course have to be stopped by
centralized methods at the router level. Sane people have been saying
this for years, but maybe it will be taken serious now that it's
presented as a "scientific" problem and a biological simile and not as
what it actually is, a political and economic one. (If someone doesn't
like the word "political", we can also say "social problem" or
"community problem" or "our problem"). It's a political and economic
problem because it's simply expensive and unpopular with internet
service providers and other businesses that consumers should have the
right to prevent any kind of unwanted mail such as advertisements and
malicious mail and that ISPs should pay for preventing it.

It's obvious to everyone that when lunatics or terrorists send dangerous
stuff in normal mail that it's the authorities' and the government's job
to do something about it (and the politicians' job to change the laws if
the government can't or won't). Nobody would say that everyone should
become experts in explosives and anthrax etc. and install protective
systems in their mailboxes! And nobody would hopefully say we just have
to take things as they come, don't need a government or laws, or any
other irresponsible calls for apathy or anarchy.

Not surprisingly, "a" antivirus program vendor says he "thinks" this
won't work; he knows it will, but he's scared he'll lose a lot of
business. Not surprisingly, the first to say this is McAfee, the very
company who apparently killed intelligent virus protection by massively
advertising its "passport/signature" method as superior too instead of
as a complement to the, in fact, superior and intelligent profile-based
virus scanners.
(http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=242&page=4)

Ekhart