[pasmembers] Library Star Party ideas - keep discussing this so I can give them our answer.

  • From: Terri <cosmicstarstuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:30:13 -0800 (PST)

Sam,

we can discuss it at the next MOM, however,
the next MOM that is actually scheduled isn't
until April.

If we have enough topics, we can do this month, which is
Jan 31. Anyone interested in getting together on Jan 31
for a Meeting of the Minds to discuss these topics we
have been talking about in the PAS List Serv the past few
days?

That would be:

Library star parties
(for which, if I set them up, I don't' want to be the lone person
doing them. We have to have enough people to cover them
on a regular basis, maybe offer them 2 scopes each time, at
$50 (if we agree a price is needed) and not every month, but
change around so not only is Terri and Don covering this
event in, example: February, but also, in April, 2 other
people do it)

What brings this up is that Don, William and I do the Bookmans
telescope workshops, always. We get help and it is appreciated
but it seems that everyone EXPECTS that Don and I will
do it. So, i don't' want to set up and event that I am EXPECTED
to be at every time. I'd  love to do it, but can't always. Even
the Bookmans events are getting to where we sometimes cancel
due to Don having something to take care of that day, or William
and I needing to do something else that day. So, there really
needs to be more people covering some of these events, as back
up people. So, if Don and I can't do it one time, you have already
done the event with us, know the routine, know who to ask
for tables and chairs, (this is in reference to Bookmans events),
and other things for set up.... I don't'' mind helping, but I don't
want to be the SOLE person doing the event, every time.

So, I guess what I'm asking, besides if we should charge the
library, is who is willing to do this event with me, that could
fill in when I can't make it? We should provide 2 scopes,
always. Remember the rule, 2 scopes in case one scope
breaks down.

As far as the Library goes, I think they were looking for an answer sooner than
Jan 31 as to if we would like to do events at their location to promote science
to teens. That's why i started
this conversation in the List Serv.

So, your input is highly appreciated. I don't' know that i can
wait to make a decision till Jan 31, as to how we want to do
the Libraries. I have mixed info... some of you say CHARGE
the library at the School fee of $25/scope. others say that
because they are non profit, we should do it for free. Personally,
I can't afford the gas in the big car too often for Freebies.
I have to consider the time, effort, and gas costs when doing
all these events. Money is still tight for some of us. I'm on
that list. That is why I'm asking for input.

But it does seem that the majority of the answers have been
that we charge for it. And NOT EVERY month, maybe every
2 months. PAS has seen a lot of changes in the venues we  have
had to do star parties for. Now we have more school events and
private PAS events than previously. And we are now refraining
from doing anything free, if possible.

I enjoy showing the night sky to anyone, but really would prefer
some $$ was involved to entice me to attend. Money,
recognition, food are all items that help promote PAS and
get our members to attend.

So, keep the discussion going here, for now. Let's think this through before i
send an answer. I can the point on both sides,
but unless we are trading the use of maybe their meeting
room, once in a while, for a telescope viewing session, we
probably will do it for pay.

Have a super day.
My fingers are frozen and making a lot of mistakes.

Visit the P.A.S. Blog & My Facebook Page
Visit my Music Page: Private Music Instructor

>________________________________

grown more "commercial" in scope. Bob On Jan 11, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Tim Jones
wrote: > The library system is Maricopa County, not city-based, so the
Scottsdale
location has no bearing on this and your comment is absurd.  Again, they don't
charge the kids or families for the programs, so our charging them feels a bit
greedy if more than a simple registration fee.

> <SOAPBOX MODE ON>
> <FLAME RETARDANT UNDERWEAR ON>
> Look, I understand that times are tight for many of us, but using the club as
a source of income is simply wrong. As most of you know, I don't take money
from
events that I'm part of with the club because I feel that way about it. In all
the non-profit organizations that I've ever been involved with, PAS is the
first
of such which charges for outreach events.  To say the least, I feel very
uncomfortable with a practice under which club members are paid to the point of
requiring W9's on file with the club. Additionally, since the club now requires
W9's for payout, that makes members who receive payment contractors and the
club
has now become a business entity rather than a club or organization.

> On the other hand, if there was a club-level "booking fee" of around $25,
> that
would be different.  That could be explained as an administrative fee.  I don't
have an issue with the club making up for the effort of its members (versus
private people) to arrange and manage such an event.

> If there really needs to be a "business unit" from within the club to run
> paid
star parties, it should be a private venture of like-minded members and it
should be treated as a separate entity, and not part of the PAS structure.
Also, events hosted and managed by these people should not be considered as
"PAS
Events".  Otherwise, it's not outreach, it's "Tony Laconti using the club's
status in the community for drumming up business."