[pasmembers] Re: Info about Partial Solar Eclipse of Thursday Oct 23

  • From: Alex Vrenios <axv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pasmembers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:05:38 -0700

> poke a hole in a piece of paper and view it that way. ???

You let the sun shine THROUGH that hole, onto another piece of paper on the
ground. The paper+hole become a pinhole camera. The ground is its projection
screen where there will be a tiny view of the eclipse.

If there is a tree (with a lot of leaves) nearby the light passing between the
leaves and onto the ground will show hundreds of little partial eclipses, like
hundreds of pinhole cameras.

Way back when, we poked a hole in one side of an empty cardboard box and held
that box just above our head. We pointed the pinhole at the sun behind us and
watched the show on the inside of the box. Kept us off the streets...

Alex