[paralleloptics] Re: some announcements

  • From: "Bruce Booth" <blbooth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <paralleloptics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:53:43 -0500

Paul, I saw your note and comments back to parallel optics as I am on the
mailing list as well. At Optical CrosslLinks we are still trying to make a
business of our unique approach so thought I should up date you.
Unfortunatlely we are not well funded and cannot attend meetings like the
OFC. However, we are working with Sanmina-SCI who was going to show some of
our unique products at their booth but at the last minute I guess there was
a communication mix up and it did not happen. They did show them at another
meeting with good response.
I serve on a national committee, NEMI (for National Electronci Manufacturing
Initiative for optical interconnections)  which is focused on developing
attributes and comparisons between electronic and optical interconnections
at the board and backplane level. We have conference calls every two weeks
under the leadership of Jack Fisher who heads up the group. Jack has asked
me to head up a sub group to pull together attributes for the major
technologies for polymer optical interconnections for these board level
interconnects. My subgroup in which Jack also participates has selected our
unique self development approach, etching as done by IBM, Shipley, and now
Dow Corning, and embossing currently being explored in Europe by IBM and the
Fraunhofer Inst. as the critical key broadly representative techniques.
Confidentially I have attached the not yet completed living table with the
attributes that I an coordinating the assembly for all three approaches with
the contributions from the companies noted for the approach they are working
on. It is clear that we are far ahead of the others and are delivering
products with our connected waveguides. Please keep it for yourself as it
should be officially released only by Jack and the full NEMI group, however
I wanted to provide you a flavor of our position.

We have provided Intel polymer waveguide arrays fully connected on boards
with I/O mirror interfaces with a few micron precision (they requested +/- 8
and we delivered far better ) and with losses well below there max. They are
currently in the  evaluation stage ---and hopefully will get back to us with
a larger program this summer. They published in their technical journal
results, referencing our technology so I can talk about it, of similar
boards that we made for them 2 years ago. The recent deliveries this past
fall and winter were far better. This week Bridgestone from Japan visit us
who commented that several companies in Japan are getting back into polymer
board level interconnections and all look to our technology as the key
leading approach and are trying to reproduce it. Hopefully we can get a
program going with them.

Our major issue is survival ---we are small and go month to month on a few
projects to survive. We have been supplying our custom fiber ribbons made
with our own die designs, fully connectorized with our proprietary approach
when they are non standard ribbons for aerospace into Boeing / Air Force
applications in fly by fiber. Also we are supplying them unique finger sized
1x16 polymer waveguide splitters with outstanding performance that they want
to use in the next phase of the work. We have developed for the same
application unique dual waveguide sensor heads which in combination with an
encoding strip from a company we collaborate with for these applications a
small remote optical sensors for position sensing at the +/- 30 micro-
meteres over 7.5 inches length for purely optical fly by light remote
control of aircraft to eliminate EMI issues which can drop out the planes
control computer when connected with wires.

We are discussing with several other companies on novel applications that it
appears we are the only ones that can deliver---star couplers and board
level connections. We have also provided novel micro fluidic capillaries for
bio chip applications that can be combined with our waveguide sensing which
has been published at a conference a week or so ago with excellent results
for our polymer chips relative to other approaches. Thus we have incredible
diversity with our capability and technologies.

My clear frustration is we need funds to really keep alive ---and these
small projects in the exploratory phases do not bring in large amounts.
Large companies are still afraid to invest as the large markets are years
away but  we still discuss with Litton (a division of Northrup-Grummen) and
are starting to work on a board /backplane demo for Sanmina.  Small
companies are in my position. VC's look at our $500K debt etc. and go away.
However, we can be asset purchased (as almost happened with Sanmina and with
Northrup-Grummen until market conditions scared the top management). This
approach would enable us to sell the company, which would be reformed by the
buyer, without the debt, and the monies would be distributed based on legal
protocol and level / date of securitization of the debt, (we have
securitized all the debt).

Thus any contacts or help you might suggest is most welcome. I pay as
independent contractors former employees and founders out of the meager
project monies, and pay the utilities. And I am behind in their payments.
The land lord is a family friend and investor so we have not paid rent for
over two years. I have not taken pay for nearly 3 years-but survive on my
DuPont pension. My goal is to make a business out of what we know is a great
technology. Having an Angle investor who believed in what we are trying to
do and could support us at a low level until the market really comes back
would be fantastic.

I have attached the NEMI table. Take a look at our WEB page,  which are
getting ready to further update with product brochures for splitters, star
couplers, compact 1x2 arrays for ribbon interconnect splitting, board edge
with component I/O connections, mother board to daughter board waveguide
array interconnections (which we have demonstrated and provided for one
customer to date) with a footprint identical to standard electronic
connectors and some bio chip info from the customer.

I would love to present at your meeting -but with the current finances would
need support to travel and attend. Would appreciate your thought on how we
can gain support to help us survive. Many thanks Bruce

Dr. Bruce.
L. Booth
Optical CrossLinks, Inc.
206 Gale Lane