[oxnatbees] hive wool insulation

  • From: "Gilliane Sills" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gillianesills" for DMARC)
  • To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 10:01:13 +0100

I'm planning to insulate my two hives (one with bees, the other empty now, but set up in preparation for next year) over the winter, much more than I did last year, and am considering using natural wool insulation in an eke placed underneath the roof - see https://sheepwool4homes.co.uk/products/optimal-sheep-wool-insulation-2 for 75mm thickness.  The wool is a good insulator, it breathes and they claim no chemicals have been added, so I think it should be fine directly on top of the bars.  It's worth scrolling down the page to the video that shows the product being unrolled.  However, it's not possible to buy a sufficiently small quantity for just two hives and I wondered whether anyone would be interested in sharing an order with me.  The minimum order of 570mm wide is for two 6m rolls and costs £92, including shipping.  This works out at about £8 per metre length.  I'll need 2m for my hives, leaving 10m available for other people.  I could bring the insulation to a future meeting, for anyone who'd like it.

I'd be grateful for advice for or against this idea - and if it seems a good idea, please let me know if you'd like to share an order.  I should say that I know no more than the information provided by the website  - so I can't be sure it will be successful/suitable...

Best wishes

Gilliane

--
The Map House