[oxnatbees] hive full of honey

  • From: "Gilliane Sills" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "gillianesills" for DMARC)
  • To: "To: oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oxnatbees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:22:36 +0100

One of my hTBHs is absolutely *full* of honey.  I opened it last Friday and as I prised off the last of the end bars furthest from the entrance, it came away from the comb beneath and I could see that the comb was completely full.  I can't take any honey because of the cross combing further in to the hive and the fact that removing a top bar breaks the honey-filled cells beneath, and this makes a mess.  Trying to get out the comb underneath would make a really horrible mess and undoubtedly kill a number of bees, so I'm not going to try this.  However, I'm curious about how the bees manage when they haven't got any more space available to fill? There's a lot of activity with bees flying in and out and some clustering above the entrance, and they're still bringing in pollen and the temperature above the top bars at the entrance end suggests they still have brood.  It must happen in the wild too that sometimes they run out of space.  Does anyone know what happens?  Do the bees fly less, or eat more honey, or just get stressed...? Though there's no sign of them being stressed - they were surprisingly good-tempered when I broke their comb (only one bee got angry) and they don't object to me being close by.

Gilliane

--
The Map House
Vernon Avenue