what is this CRS authenticating?

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:03:05 +0200

Hi List,

can anyone give me some hints what - and how - this CRS is authenticating in
$CRS_HOME/crs/auth ?

There is surprisingly little information aroud. I'm having a SR at
Oracle where we stumbling about this authentication, but it's hard to
get any epiphany from the big red Oracle.

A short summary of my issue here:
I get an annoying ORA-29702 sometimes on my 11gR1 DBs (11.1.0.7.3 on Solaris10)
the full error stack in alert.log is
Errors in file xxxx.trc
ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
ORA-29702: error occurred in Cluster Group Service operation
ORA-29702: error occurred in Cluster Group Service operation
ERROR: error ORA-15032 caught in ASM I/O path

Some weeks of investigations get me down to the 'authentication' of a
rdbms-process to get allowance on the ASM DG to add a file or alias.
(this is not 100% sure, but a good baseline for discussions).

Now I'm searching for details about this authentication.
So far I know the rdbms-process is asking ocssd (in fact an instance
of the clsc_authent_thrd threads) for allowance to create a file in an
ASM DG. This seems to be a kind of exclusive lock (in the DG?), and in
some of my cases the permission does not come fast enough.
For this permission, there is a kind of filesystem-handshake on
$CRS_HOME/crs/auth (who the hell invited THIS communication!?)

But now I have to dig down what is failing there. Some ideas come to my mind:
is the ocssd clsc_authent_thrd thread just not answering fast enough?
is the filesystem to slow to handle the requests?
could it be an IO-issue on the disks of the FS?
maybe some other process is just doing work on the DG and did not
release it's 'lock' back to the clsc_authent_thrd?

At the moment for me it looks as a kind of contention - but I doesn't
know where (and how) to look next?

Therefore once again, if you know anything about this authentication,
please share it with me ;-)

thank you
 Martin