Re: using LDAP with MS ACTIVE DIRECTORY

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:13:36 +0000

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:45:26 +0300, Jaffar_DBA <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> We are planning to move away from oracle names server and wanted to
> make use of LDAP facility with MS ACTIVE DIRECTORY.  I have the
> following doubts in this regards:

Sorry can't answer your specific questions but there is one really
major caveat for using LDAP to access Active Directory, it caught out
out directories people when they tried to do it.  Active Directory has
two distinct record types:  Active Directory Records and Active
Directory LDAP records.  It's undocumented but, if a record is created
as an Active Directory record then it is not accessible by LDAP and
cannot be migrated to LDAP, you have to delete the record and recreate
it as an LDAP record.  If there's a way around it then our directories
people haven't told me about it.

Stephen