RE: training for new DBA's

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wts@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:56:33 -0600

>> Consider that you want your trainee to succeed, but s/he may not want
to be a DBA in 6 months or a year ... have your time and company money
been totally wasted?

Gee, then why train anyone eh?  Seriously LACK of training can be just
as much a deterrent on retention.   Giving good training on a regular
bases is likely to keep folks around not the opposite.

Being in the education world as I am, I believe in classroom training,
next online and then very last self-training like books and CBT type.
Books and CBTs are excellent for refresher or "feature" type training.
(Like, how to I use virtual columns?)  But to learn something "new" it's
quite hard to do with that style of training.

I know from personal experience when I was a neophyte DBA that just
taking 2 DBA/SQL classes back then shot me way up the curve.  I had been
struggling for 18 months or so before my first class.  Sure the
databases "worked" but wow!  Once I had some formal training things
really got going much better and I had a much better idea of what to
even look at.

Training might appear to be expensive, but ignorance is far more.

Ric Van Dyke

Education Director

Hotsos Ltd.

Hotsos Symposium March 2-6 2014