RE: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

  • From: "SHEEHAN, JEREMY" <Jeremy.Sheehan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:21:53 -0400

We use #2.  We have in my team 70 db's that include standby, dr, dev, test, qa
(I think we have over 250 oracle db's company wide - administered by 15 oracle
dba's)....  a team of 3 of us are fully responsible for the db's end to end.
We also help administer the applications that the db's actually use. However,
one thing that is good here is that all the db information is stored centrally
and we use a set of standard scripts across the board for the oracle databases.
 so if some horrific accident happens to all the dba's on one team, the other
dba's can step in and help out with minimal learning curve.

we also have DB2, SQL Server but those are all maintained by a separate set of
DBA's.

Jeremy
P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really
need to.

2009/4/3 <DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

We are a reasonably large corporation, with 650 Oracle databases.  We are
having a bit of internal discussion going on concerning different support
models:

(1) Having separation of duties for DBAs: one DBA area in responsible for
infrastructure across all databases and another group doing application DBA
work across multiple application databases, closer to the applications and
their data or
(2) Doing DBA work in silos: one DBA would be responsible for a certain set of
applications and databases end-to-end, responsible for all infrastructure and
application data work for that set of applications

We currently have a structure like this:

We have systems DBAs that are responsible for the database infrastructure -
installing the server software & patching, tuning at the instance level,
monitoring db server capacity, backup & recovery, adding sizing datafiles,
disaster recovery, database creation, user & security administration, 24x7
level 3 support.

We have application DBAs that are closer to the application data, and are
responsible for creating and maintaining the application schema objects
(tables, indexes, etc), some SQL statement tuning, logical backups (exp/imp) of
application objects, data loads, 24x7 level 2 support.

I am curious what other folks are doing.