write performance - broad generalization

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oracle-L Freelists'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:18:10 -0400

Whenever I get a new server or even compare write performance between
servers, I just create a 10GB tablespace (not temp). I time it and I think
it gives me a kind of max write performance (for oracle), no other work is
going on, just the one tablespace being created.  Real quick & dirty test.
Yesterday I got a brand new dev box and it took ~7 minutes for a 5GB
datafile. A 10GB datafile on another box that I recently set up < 1 minute.
Top of my head I think my new dev box is a dog. I don't need to go into
specifics on the file system they gave me or the underlying storage. Just
wondering if I'm way off base. I'll have to go through my docs. I think I've
done test with multiple sqlloader sessions doing direct loading to see if my
throughput matches my simple test but I'm not sure.

Mike