RE: shared database sequence.

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx>, <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:50:27 -0500

I prefer:
Create sequence my_seq_in_database_1 start with 1 increment by 2;
Create sequence my_seq_in_database_2 start with 2 increment by 2;

That way, you don't have to pick some preset upper limit, and you will
never get a collision.

If you want the flexibility of adding other sources in the future, you
could increment by 10, above.  That way, you could add up to eight more
sequences in the future.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"Gentlemen, it is time to stop tuning SQL and start tuning users."
--Bill "Shrek" Thater, Oracle DBA