Re: session timeout in 10g

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:58:31 -0400

On 8/30/05, Chris Stephens <cstephens16@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> so I found the following in the alert log:
>
> WARNING: inbound connection timed out (ORA-3136)
>
> ...not much of anything on metastink or google.
>
> no profiles are set and the machine is on the same network.
>
> any ideas on what could be causing this? ...or how to find out what is
> causing this? :)

Chris,

That sounds like a classis case of attempting to obtain a dedicated server
session through a listener where NAT or a firewall is involved. The incoming
request to the listener is translated inbounds, but the redirected client
never finds its port in the storm. One can tnsping and get a reply, but not
create a session.

Might you have setup iptables whereby all incoming connection attempts are
blocked except for those explicitly allowed? That is a laudable objective,
but you'll need to open the high TCP ports (>1024) for dedicated server
connections. You can restrict the range of ports used in the kernel
settings, if desired.

I've never seen that message in an alert log - usually messages regarding
failed connection attempts are in the listener log file.

hth.

Paul