rman incomplete recovery

  • From: "Joe Smith" <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:55:48 -0600

List,

I am trying to do an incomplete recovery of my 9iRel2 db on Solaris 8. I am in archive log mode.
This is a test environment.
I autobackup my control file and snapshot the control file.

The basis of the backup is:

backup database plus archivelog delete all input;

My RMAN backup script works fine, it has been running on multiple boxes for months now.
I have tested different situations and now working on a new one.

I can do an incomplete recovery with the current control file and redo logs.

I am trying to simulate the situation of losing my controlfiles and redo logs.
When I try to do an incomplete recovery with a backup controlfile and no redo logs I get an RMAN error.
So, I rename my controlfiles and redo logs and try to recover to a time before my redo logs.
I am using this run block:

run
{
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to
        ?/backup/location/control_%F';
set until time "to_date(?12-12-05 19:00:00?,?MM-DD-YY HH24:MI:SI?)";
restore controlfile from autobackup;
alter database mount;
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;
}

I get an RMAN error about database not mounted. I don't think that is the whole problem.
Any help is highly appreicated.

thanks.