RE: reusing ASM disks

  • From: Haroon Qureshi <haroon.qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lucas Pimentel Lellis <lucaslellis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:59:40 -0500

Thanks Lucas, Andrew and Ryan.

Haroon A. Qureshi

From: lucaslellis@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 13:41:43 -0300
Subject: Re: reusing ASM disks
To: haroon.qureshi@xxxxxxxxx
CC: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Haroon,
A disk marked as FORMER can be safely added to a new diskgroup, as this status
means that the disk was cleanly removed from an old diskgroup. As per the 11.2
documentation:

"From the perspective of the installation, candidate disks are those that have
the CANDIDATE, PROVISIONED, or FORMER header status. These disks with a
CANDIDATE, PROVISIONED, or FORMER status can be added to Oracle ASM disk groups
without using the FORCE flag."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e18951/asmdiskgrps.htm#OSTMG94123

Kind Regards,

Lucas Pimentel Lellis

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Haroon Qureshi <haroon.qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

thanks for the replies.  I did drop the diskgroup and the header status is
marked as FORMER (v$asm_disk).  I know that it means that the disk was formerly
part of a disk group but not sure if it means it is a candidate for a adding to
a diskgroup and if anything else needs to be done to the disk before using it.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

you probably want to drop the diskgroups first though.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I believe the command is /etc/init.d/oracleasm deletedisk <disk name> to clear
and drop a disk, then just re-run the createdisk command to re-initialize it.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Haroon Qureshi <haroon.qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hello,

i need to recreate my database (test database) running 11.2.0.3 on RHEL 6.4
with ASMLIB.  I want to reuse the same LUNS that I had before and recreate the
diskgroups.  How can I tell ASM to reuse the same disks?  Do I need to do
something to the disks first in order to be able to reuse them?  I do want to
clear out the disks as well so that there is nothing on them.

Thanks in advance,
Haroon

--
Andrew W. Kerber