Re: reusing ASM disks

  • From: Lucas Pimentel Lellis <lucaslellis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haroon.qureshi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 13:41:43 -0300

Hi Haroon,

A disk marked as FORMER can be safely added to a new diskgroup, as this
status means that the disk was cleanly removed from an old diskgroup. As
per the 11.2 documentation:

"From the perspective of the installation, candidate disks are those that
have the CANDIDATE, PROVISIONED, or FORMER header status. These disks with
a CANDIDATE, PROVISIONED, or FORMER status can be added to Oracle ASM disk
groups without using the FORCE flag."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e18951/asmdiskgrps.htm#OSTMG94123

Kind Regards,

Lucas Pimentel Lellis