Re: restore RMAN backup to different server with different database name????

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:22:52 +0100

Well duplicate does obey the SET UNTIL and catalog clauses.

Niall Litchfield

On Jul 9, 2010 8:17 PM, "dba1 mcc" <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

we have ORACLE database 10Gr2 and 11GR1 on Linux servers.  We plan to take
RMAN backup from one server to other server (exactly same configuration on
hardware/software).  We try to restore RMAN backup on second node but
different database name.  The reason we don't use "duplicate database" is we
are not restore current database data.  Customer want restore one week or
two weeks ago backup.

the procedure we implement are:

1. on second node, create new database location.

2. transfer RMAN backup from node A to node B

3. edit init.ora on new database and put:
           db_file_name_convert= (...)
           log_file_name_convert=(...)
           DB_NAME=newname

4. startup RMAN

     rman target /
     startup nomout;
     restore controlfile from ...
     start mount;
ORA-01103: database name 'db01' in control file is not 'DB02'

How to overcome this error?

Thanks.