RE: re Index NOLOGGING -- was RE: ORA-1578...block corrupted...error is normal...a block...had a NOLOGGING...operation performed against

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:23:33 +0800

Yes, that portion of the documentation, if read by itself, is incorrect. Hemant

At 11:55 PM Wednesday, Allen, Brandon wrote:
Hemant, I'm not sure if you've been following the thread the whole time, but the issue we are currently addressing is the fact that the documentation clearly says that when an index is set to NOLOGGING (regardless of whether it was CREATEd or ALTERed NOLOGGING), that direct-path inserts will not be logged - see the logging_clause definition under the CREATE INDEX page at this link: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/statements_510a.htm#SQLRF01209):

Here is the relevant text:

"logging_clause

Specify whether the creation of the index will be logged (LOGGING) or not logged (NOLOGGING) in the redo log file. This setting also determines whether subsequent Direct Loader (SQL*Loader) and direct-path INSERT operations against the index are logged or not logged. LOGGING is the default."

So, it appears that the documentation is incorrect - would you agree?

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l