ramfs or ram disk

  • From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 22:05:52 +0000

My dw architect recently suggested that I create a tempFS "ramdisk" to increase
performance. Honestly I have no idea what he is talking about.  I am not sure
he does either. When googling I am getting information that just confuses me.
Does anyone here know what he is talking about?
Oracle 11.2.02
Redhat 5.4 64bit
500gb ram

Creating a disk allocation to use as RAM? That sounds like swap to me.

Creating a ram allocation to use as disk, that sounds volatile to me.

If am not making any sense, please ignore :)

Have a good day.