Re: ramfs or ram disk

  • From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gleb.otochkin@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 22:54:17 +0100

I accept that using a ram disk would be relatively safe for a temporary
tablespace.
However I remember when Oracle absolutely forbade the use of sparse files.
Then at some point Oracle has started using sparse files for temporary
tablespaces and I have seen no new official position on sparse files.

I would be cautious about putting a sparse temporary tablespace on a
ramdisk.

A reccomendation I should have included in my original response is: open an
SR to verify that your new proposed configuration is fully supported.

I will however restate my original position, if your ram is fully commited,
then creating a ramdisk will rob another part of your system of a valuable
resource.

For example if most of your temporary tablespace usage is for sorting,
reducing the sort area size to make space for a ramdisk will not solve your
performance problem as you will simply increase the number of sorts that
spill to disk.

If developers have made extensive use of global temporary tables
inappropriatley then you may be able to inprove performance using a ramdisk.

However I would still contend that fixing the real problem with the code
rather than using the sticking plaster of a ramdisk.

There are valid uses of ramdisks but they are rare and sometimes do not
constitute a long term solution.

Dave