Re: privileges in non-production

  • From: "Karen Morton" <karen.r.morton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:15:03 -0500

I see so many times when developers have such limited privileges that they
can't get to data they need to effectively test and optimize their code.
Permissions to see many v$ views or to be able to get to trace data files
they create, etc. is critical to allow anyone to be able to effectively
optimize their code.  So, I think that development should be opened to the
level that allows access to any/all information that can assist with
information gathering and testing.

The QA environment, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, can limit
privileges to more closely align with production so that developers don't
try to push through code that relies on extra privileges.

Karen Morton
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

On 6/27/06, Ron Rogers <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jeffrey, I like to keep the privileges on Development close to the same as Production. That will help insure that the applications being created react the same on both servers. The application id has the proper privileges as needed and the developers have SELECT only so they can "see" the data loaded by their applications. Ron

>>> "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx> 06/27/06 9:58 AM >>>
Wondering what other people do in granting privileges to developers in
non-production.  Do you grant system (update any table) privilege or
privilege to the individual tables.