parse_calls/executions ratio

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:12:36 -0700

Greeting,

In a two node RAC cluster running Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on RHEL4 (I haven't checked
a single node instance) awrrpts are showing a negative execute to parse ratio.
This implies to me that there are SQL statements being parsed but not executed.
What I am seeing by looking at v$sql and querying parse_calls and executions
for sql statements is that for non system users (SYS,SYSMAN, etc.) the number
of parse_calls is always greater than the number of executions, in the majority
of cases the parse_calls are 1 more than the number of executions and for 5
other statements the difference is > 2.

Is this to be expected? This implies that a statement is being parsed at least
once without being executed. Is that necessary for Oracle to determine the
execution plan or something else? Am I about to learn something here?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center