os cache vs. db cache

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:03:42 -0400

Hello everyone,

Over the years, I've read differing opinions on balancing the os cache and
the database cache.  Seems like I remember there were some advocates for
minimizing the os cache and maximizing the database cache to allow Oracle to
better determine which blocks should truly be cached and avoid necessary
blocks being cached because they were in proximity to hot data.  I also have
heard opposite opinions.

I'm specifically focused on performance for a data warehouse.  Has anyone
tested performance with a minimized OS cache and a maximized database
cache?  If so, what were the results?  Does anyone have a really good paper
or book on the topic?  I'm trying to collect some information before I start
discussions with the platforms guys.

tia ... Robyn