Re: os cache vs. db cache

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Dunscombe" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:04:44 -0400

Chris,

I suspect we've got a mix; some of the processes may be (accidentally) well
served by the current settings, while others are not. Plus we've got some
odd schema combinations sharing instances so I may need to move a few things
around before I can test, much less make any changes.  Typical stuff I
imagine for systems that have been hanging around for a while.

We're getting ready to go through another round of database and application
upgrades and new servers are coming in, so if I can figure out what I want
to try, I have a reasonable chance of getting to at least test it while
we've got extra environments running.

cheers ... Robyn

On 7/10/07, Chris Dunscombe <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

One situation I've experienced was a smallish (< 250GB) third-party online
operational database on Solaris where the OS cache acted as a cache for
Full
Table scans of tables around the 100-300 MB size. This worked well
although it
was more by accident than design.

Cheers,

Chris