RE: oracle downgrade support

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 12:18:36 -0400

Dennis,
 If you follow the wonderfull written instructions that come with your
upgrade package you will notice the steps are.
Backup you database.
upgrade, migrate, rotate and balance.
test test test.
If test = 'okay'
 then release to users
else
restore from backup.
endif.
Most of the logs from the upgrade will be available for trouble shoting
if needed.
Ron

>>> DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/07/2004 11:05:46 AM >>>
Scott
   We have pretty much relied on the practice of:
   - Test the upgrade on a test server and ask users to check it out.
   - Take a full backup of the server before upgrade.
   - If there is an issue, decide quickly to go back. Need to decide
quickly
because transactions since upgrade will be lost.

Fortunately we haven't had a disaster of the magnitude that would
require
this. I will be interested to see if anyone else has a great solution.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx