Re: options for standby database

  • From: "David Fitzjarrell" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "oratune@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx" <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 13:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

This sounds like a case for Golden Gate as it can perform cross-endian
replication:

Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate

It does require licensing but it may be a way to replicate your production
database without moving it to Linux.

 Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate
A comparison between Active Data Guard and Oracle GoldenGate
View on www.oracle.com Preview by Yahoo

David Fitzjarrell
Principal author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:14 PM, Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

We currently have our main production database running on HP-UX with a
standby database, also HP-UX, at our DR site.

It's possible that we will lose funding for the DR site at some point in
the next few years, so management is looking into Amazon Web Services -
Cloud Computing Services to host our DR servers.  From what I understand,
AWS Cloud is Linux only.

Since Oracle doesn't yet support HP-UX primary/Linux standby, I think
that our only option is to move our production database to Linux.  Is
that true, or can anyone think of some other option?  Or, is it possible
that Oracle might support HP-UX primary/Linux standby in the near future?
Or, is HP-UX primary/Linux standby not likely possible any time soon
because HP-UX is big-endian and x86-64 is little-endian?

- Maureen