open cursors for Oracle Forms application sessions

  • From: Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Neil Kodner <nkodner@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:02:29 -0400

I support a database which is used by about 6 applications, one of which is
an Oracle Forms application.  The sessions coming from Oracle Forms always
use far more PGA than the rest of the sessions (java, .net, c#, etc).  I'm
looking at open cursor counts across my instance and see that the forms
sessions constantly have upwards of 200 cursors open at any one time,
compared to the java, delphi, and others, which seem to do a good job
closing them.

Not knowing much about Oracle forms, is there anything I could be doing, or
suggesting to the developers/forms admin to get Forms to handle the cursors
better?