Re: more permissions mess

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GovindanK <gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:59:09 -0400

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 08:38:15AM -0700, GovindanK wrote:
> I could not lay hands on Metalink doc due to response. This is due to
> enhanced
> security in 10gR2.

Preventing access to the software is one approach to security, but
it is rather like unplugging the ethernet to provide network security.

I did find a doc for the MS platform that hints at they philosophy:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/win.102/b14305/config.htm#ABC1019374SRI1
4.3.1 File Permissions
"Beginning with Oracle9i release 2 (9.2), Oracle Universal Installer,
Database Configuration Assistant, and Database Upgrade Assistant set
file permissions when Oracle Database software is installed or upgraded."

Note:363721.1 describes the permissions as "wrong."  So, by inference,
the new install software installs the product "wrong." Seems like a good
entry for the "Postinstallation Tasks."

--
"But Oracle needs to reinvent itself."  No company can survive on a
database only revenue stream in the next 10 years." - Mogens N.