Re: hot-backup recovery question

  • From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:45:45 -0800 (PST)

Are you giving a alter tablespace   <tsname> end backup on the split node;
we do this all the time
when you tryo to being up the split mirror you need to first issue an alter
tablespace  <tsname> rnd backup and not do a recovery.
Rich Holland <holland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I=92m trying to use a hot backup to make a copy of our production 817_32 =
database
using a 3rd disk mirror split operation. Here are the steps I=92m =
taking:

1. Create a text copy of the control file with:
alter database backup controlfile to trace;
2. For all tablespaces in the database, execute:
alter tablespace begin backup;
3. Verify they are all in hot backup mode via:
select count(*) from v$backup where not status =3D =91ACTIVE=92;
4. Split the mirrored disks (takes approximately 60 seconds).
5. Take all tablespaces out of hot backup mode via:
alter tablespace end backup;
6. Verify they are all out of backup mode via:
select count(*) from v$backup where status =3D =91ACTIVE=92;
7. Archive the current redo log via:
alter system archive log current;
8. Split the archived redo log file system=92s mirrors.

I then mount the data file file systems and archived redo log file =
system on
the target host and do:
SQL> connect / as sysdba
SQL> alter database recover automatic using backup controlfile until =
cancel;
SQL> alter database recover cancel;

At this point, I get an error like this:
ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS would get =
error
below
ORA-01194: file 83 needs more recovery to be consistent
ORA-01110: data file 83: '/oracle/PRD/data44/tsdata.data1'

In the alert log I see errors like this:
WARNING! Recovering data file 386 from a fuzzy file. If not the =
current file
it might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup =
command.
WARNING! Recovering data file 397 from a fuzzy file. If not the =
current file
it might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup =
command.
WARNING! Recovering data file 404 from a fuzzy file. If not the =
current file
it might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup =
command.

I=92ve tried both with the active control files which were copied as =
part of the
split (when the database was in backup mode) as well as removing them =
and
creating new copies on the target system (using the control.sql text =
copy I
created in step #1). Both attempts resulted in the same problem.

I=92m missing something obvious, but can=92t for the life of me figure =
out what it
is. I=92ve also had two other DBA=92s look at the procedure and =
they=92re scratching
their heads as well. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich
--
Rich Holland=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 (913) 645-1950=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =
SAP Technical Consultant