Re: high db hit ratio and a lot of waits on db sequential reads

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:34:32 -0700

Gene,

You haven't really given us any meaningful information.  What is "a lot" of
db file sequential read waits?  How much time is spent on these waits?  Just
because that's your biggest wait event (most waits or most time?) doesn't
mean there's a problem.  Give us a bit more data.

If your CHR is 99.5% (for instance), that means that .5% of your logical
reads have associated physical reads.  That .5% is what's causing your
sequential read waits.  If that .5% is too high, then maybe the 100% is too
high.  I.e., you're doing too many logical reads.  As others have said,
check your SQL.  Find out what queries are doing the most LOGICAL reads and
why.  If you reduce the logical reads you'll probably reduce the physical
reads.  Your CHR may go down, but CHR is a meaningless number anyway.

--Terry