RE: high db hit ratio and a lot of waits on db sequential reads

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:45:59 -0500

Mark,

The average wait time is between 8 and 11 ms according to oracle's AWR
reports taken today. I'll be looking
at the SQL as our next step.

Appreciate your thoughts

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "Bobak, Mark"
             <Mark.Bobak@xxxxx
             oquest.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
             oracle-l-bounce@f         "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             reelists.org                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/25/2007 03:17          RE: high db hit ratio and a lot of
             PM                        waits on db sequential reads

             Please respond to
             Mark.Bobak@xxxxxx
                 quest.com

Hi Gene,

My first guess, based on very little information, is that you have an
application that has lots of inefficient SQL.  That is, the application's
SQL could be returning the results with a lot fewer logical I/Os.  Since
you're doing so many logical I/Os, some of those are bound to turn into
physical I/Os.  Those are causing the 'db file sequential read' waits.  (I
wonder, what's your average wait time on a db file sequential read event?
With 48GB on the server, and with an 18GB buffer cache, I wonder if you're
servicing a lot of those physical reads from the filesystem cache?
Assuming you haven't enabled DIO.)  So, what I'm saying is, you're doing
tons of I/O, and most of it is logical, but, you're doing so much, that
even the (relatively) small amount that turns into physical I/O is enough
to dominate your response time profile with db file sequential read events.

Cary Millsap says it much better than I can, so, you should definitely
read:
             "Why a 99%+ Database Buffer Cache Hit Ratio is Not OK"
Which is usually available from http://www.hotsos.com/ but unfortunately,
is not currently, cause they just suffered a nasty crash and are still
piecing things back together.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies

ProQuest...Start here.