RE: hadoop ... cloudbase - threat or just passing clouds ?!!

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:59:11 -0400

There is a company, Cloudera, which is the formal support/developer behind
Hadoop, so there is someone you can go to for support.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito
Chief Scientist

________________________________

        From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Tuesday, 27 October, 2009, 7:14 PM

        Prem,

            I would imagine that hadoop will be another of those flash in the
pan projects that withers on the vine.  For one nothing outside of Hadoop
supports the hbase database that they've created. and outside vendor support is
the life blood of any supporting matter, like hadoop.

            Now I'm not suggesting that we all simply keep our heads in the
sand, the older more established database vendors like Oracle will be around
for quite some time to come.  Any radical change, like Hdoop and Goggles
BigFile system, tend to remain point solutions to someone's peculiar problem.
In hadoop's case it appears to be a open source project that is simply the
desire of a handful of parties interested in finding a new way to re-invent the
wheel.  The software industry has a habit of doing that since day one.  Pity
too since some of those efforts took a fairly simple process and turned it into
a real mess.  Take C and C++ as an example.

        Dick Goulet
        Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
        PAREXEL International