RE: hadoop ... cloudbase - threat or just passing clouds ?!!

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:14:24 -0400

Prem,

    I would imagine that hadoop will be another of those flash in the
pan projects that withers on the vine.  For one nothing outside of
Hadoop supports the hbase database that they've created. and outside
vendor support is the life blood of any supporting matter, like hadoop.

    Now I'm not suggesting that we all simply keep our heads in the
sand, the older more established database vendors like Oracle will be
around for quite some time to come.  Any radical change, like Hdoop and
Goggles BigFile system, tend to remain point solutions to someone's
peculiar problem.  In hadoop's case it appears to be a open source
project that is simply the desire of a handful of parties interested in
finding a new way to re-invent the wheel.  The software industry has a
habit of doing that since day one.  Pity too since some of those efforts
took a fairly simple process and turned it into a real mess.  Take C and
C++ as an example.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International