Re: ext4 mount options

  • From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:27:33 -0400

Mike,

> Has anyone followed the following on metalink and have an opinion?
> Available Mount Options to Improve ext4 Filesystem Performance [ID
1476869.1
> It mentions setting the following in fstab
> barrier=0
> data=writeback
> commit`

It depend on you how much risk you are willing to entertain. If you are
pushing the limit of your I/O but certain your hardware can push more, it
may help to disable the file system barrier. Make sure your power supply is
reliable. If it ever go down hard, you will not be happy with your
optimization as it will be petty messy.

Personally, I prefer to leave barrier active even on a reliable system.
Its one more thing that can save your evening. Monitor your I/O through
cacti in production over a time. Only if you hit the limit often should you
turn off barrier. Doing it for the sake of doing it don't make sense but
that driven by how risk averse you are.

Regards,

William