RE: ext4 mount options

  • From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: William Muriithi <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:33:00 -0400

thanks, very informative
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:27:33 -0400
Subject: Re: ext4 mount options
From: william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxx
To: ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike,

> Has anyone followed the following on metalink and have an opinion?

> Available Mount Options to Improve ext4 Filesystem Performance [ID 1476869.1

> It mentions setting the following in fstab

> barrier=0

> data=writeback

> commit`

It depend on you how much risk you are willing to entertain. If you are pushing
the limit of your I/O but certain your hardware can push more, it may help to
disable the file system barrier. Make sure your power supply is reliable. If it
ever go down hard, you will not be happy with your optimization as it will be
petty messy.

Personally, I prefer to leave barrier active even on a reliable system.  Its
one more thing that can save your evening. Monitor your I/O through cacti in
production over a time. Only if you hit the limit often should you turn off
barrier. Doing it for the sake of doing it don't make sense but that driven by
how risk averse you are.

Regards,
William