Re: does FRA is really needed ?

  • From: Grzegorz Goryszewski <grzegorzof@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:26:28 +0100

Thank You for quick responses. My main goal is making DG configuration for about 1TB no RAC data warehouse. Currently I dont have FRA, and really dont want to have :) because the FRA involves direct tape backups, needs additional space requirements, and people training, moreover You can

make your Oracle to hang when there is no space in FRA.
As You've written and I understand FRA is needed for 'soft' switching from failover configuration
to primary one. (You dont need to resinstantiate database).
My main concern is amount of redolog volume generated (like 100GB per hour).
So far I've got many nologging operations, but when DG comes no more
nologging tricks. As I've been told 100MB bandwidth is no problem so
its only a matter of testing :).
The most important for me is making switchover/failover as simple as
possible hence I'm going for EM Grid Control GUI, with fully clickable solution. So far I've got no DG experience besides of Oracle training which is focused on Grid Control interface and leaves with no CLI practise. And the funniest thing is that there is need to make
configuration fully runnable till the end of the Year :).
Regards.
Grzegorz

Tysiace smiesznych filmikow z sieci. Sprawdz >> http://link.interia.pl/f1ca7