Re: superblock backups, ASM vs OCFS2

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 09:53:42 -0500

Jeremy,

Oracle normally skips the first block of datafiles on raw devices to
avoid intervention with LVM headers. I wish they do that for ASM but
in ASM that space if used by ASM itself for similar purpose as in LVM.

On the other hand, ASM disks should be created on top of partitions
(in Linux terminology) but not the whole disks themselves. In fact,
ASMLib (if you happen to use it) requires that - it won't mark ASM
disk unless it's a partition. This would save your disk in case when
the header of the LUN/physical disk is corrupted. Though, partition
table may be hosed but that's recoverable and you can easilly back it
up with "dd" - it's static.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com