RE:db_file_scattered_read high waits

  • From: <Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:54:42 -0500

Okay,

There have been a lot of deletes/inserts in an environment resulting in
a high db_file_scattered_read wait I believe on a small table when doing
a full table scan and retrieving a specific row.  Basically to retrieve
one row from this table I had to scan 377 blocks according to the trace
each of 16K. =20

So I have some questions:

-I am using LMT with uniform extents and have a few 100 extents - my
understanding is that the extent sizing shouldn't play a part in this
issue.

-I believe the large amount of deletes/inserts have.  How to minimize
the deletes/inserts performance impact?  At this point it appears that I
would have to rebuild the table.  However, in the future there will be
additional deletes/inserts and I shouldn't have to keep rebuilding the
table to ensure good performance. =20

-I am using automatic segment management.