RE: database parameter change for cache and pool size

  • From: Michael Dinh <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 05:34:08 -0700

I am on 10.2.0.4

I did not set  sga_target in the pfile, but it looks like it is defaulted to 0

I do have sga_max_size=0 set which then get adjusted accordingly when database
starts up.

I will try adding  sga_target=0 to pfile/spfile

show parameter sga

NAME                                 TYPE                             VALUE
------------------------------------ --------------------------------
------------------------------
lock_sga                             boolean                          FALSE
pre_page_sga                         boolean                          FALSE
sga_max_size                         big integer                      8400M
sga_target                           big integer                      0

From: "Michael Dinh" <mdinh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jun 18, 2010 03:30
To: "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone have experience as to why database cache and pool size changes
automatically?

I monitor for changes and from time to time I would get something like this.

           [streams_pool_size] changed from [0] to [335544320]

           [db_cache_size] changed from [1073741824] to [738197504]

From the pfile create from spfile I would get

db07.streams_pool_size=335544320

*.db_cache_size=1G
db07.db_cache_size=738197504

I do not have Automatic Shared Memory Manager enabled.

*.sga_max_size=0
*.shared_pool_reserved_size=512M
*.shared_pool_size=3G

Thanks.

Michael Dinh : XIFIN : 858.436.2929

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY - This material is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.
BE FURTHER ADVISED THAT THIS EMAIL MAY CONTAIN PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION
(PHI). BY ACCEPTING THIS MESSAGE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOREGOING, AND AGREE AS
FOLLOWS: YOU AGREE TO NOT DISCLOSE TO ANY THIRD PARTY ANY PHI CONTAINED HEREIN,
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PERFORM YOUR
OBLIGATIONS RELATING TO THE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE.  If the reader of this
email (and attachments) is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender of the error and delete the
e-mail you received. Thank you.