Re: cpu patch

  • From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joan.hsieh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:20:49 +0200

Hi Joan

This really depends on the kind of vulnerabilities the patches fix IMHO --
which varies between each one of them. Consider this for example:

- Your hacker has access to an account in your "non-critical" DB
- There's an unpatched vulnerability that lets authenticated users gain DBA
privileges
- He gains those privileges in your "non-critical" DB.
- He can now do whatever the oracle user on that system can do
- For example, update $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys with his own key
- He then has shell access (and if your OS is as poorly patched as your
database, he'll soon have root as well)
- It's then easy to capture other valuable information, such as password
laying around in scripts, or do many naugthy things
- And perhaps your environment has a few (or even just 1) sys password
- And he will very soon have access to the oracle user on different servers
(including your more "critical" ones).

Just some random thought, I'm sure others have other ideas ;-)

Stefan

=========================

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder