Re: monitoring

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:07:33 -0700

There's 3 things I hear

      1. Management - create users, add datafiles, etc
      2. Systems Monitoring = 24x7 alerts
      3. Performance Monitoring - what's the load, is there a problem, how
to fix it

For 1 DB Artisan you already have and should address this well
For 2 something like Nagios can be good if you want to do it yourself
For 3, DB Optimizer is the best and the cheapest is DB Optimizer, see
http://oraclemonitor.com

Of course I'm biased about DB Optimizer. I wanted a tool like DB Optimizer
after my experiences contributing to the redesign of the OEM performance
pages (http://sites.google.com/site/youvisualize/active-session-history)  and
being frustrated with the clunky UI limitations.

DB Optimizer works on Oracle 8 - 11 with out any install. Just point it at
the database. It does ASH style collection (less than 1% of one CPU
 overhead) ie doesn't touch the licensed ASH table but collects it on its
own ( see http://ashmasters.com for more info on doing this yourself for
free)
DB Optimizer's licenses is unlimited data sources and CPUs for $1500  where
as diagnostics pack needed to  for ASH and the correpsonding OEM screens is
$5000 per cpu per database.
DB Optimizer also load tests SQL statements, tunes queries both with hints
and rewrites and has a full SQL editor with code assist, type a head, and
syntax checking. We are adding powerful functionaltiy at a fast pace, for
example we go beta next week with additional funcitonality of diagrams SQL :
see http://sites.google.com/site/embtdbo/tuner/graphic-sql. Feel free to
write me directly if you'd like to participate in the beta.

Kyle Hailey
http://oraclemonitor.com