RE: cpu costing while in development

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:23:30 -0500

Ryan
    I think a lot depends on how much you judge the risk to be. Cary has
some ideas in his book (Optimizing Oracle Performance) for taking the
logical I/O's and trying to extrapolate them to the upper limit of LIOs for
your server. Also, I think www.oraperf.com has some capacity planning ideas
that might be worth looking into.

    If the full user load will be applied immediately on rollout, then it is
worth going to more effort to verify your application and configuration
since you don't get much opportunity to make changes. What we've done in the
past is recruit the users to get on the system in a test mode at a certain
time and perform tasks simliar to what they will be doing in production. In
the worst case when the new system can't handle the load, if the users
didn't choose to participate then they usually aren't as angry over problems
as if the computer people performed some "magic" testing, with a simulator,
for example.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.