Re: Zend Free Edition under Ubuntu and Segmentation Fault

  • From: Martin McCormick <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:58:53 -0500

"Dunbar, Norman" writes:
> Have you made sure that you removed the old PHP stuff that was installed

> If you type "whereis php" what do you get back?  I get /usr/bin/php but
> that might not be truly helpful if Ubuntu puts it's own stuff there as
> well.

It does. I did install the php package originally and then took
it off with aptitude purge but that is not to say it didn't
leave something behind.

        I put the new Zend php in /usr/local/bin because it does
look for itself there. Actually, I linked it to php in the Zend
directory with ln -s and there seems to be no problem with this.

> One other thing to try, even though you get a segfault, is check that
> you are running the Zend version of php:
>
> Create a script phpinfo.php:

> Then run it with :
>
> php phpinfo.php | grep -i zend

I am. The seg fault happens as it is ending, just after the
license information.

> Next up is check in your package manager (apt?) for any php packages

        That was a useful test. I did have configuration files for
php5-common which are now gone but the problem persists.

> Next, check for the current version of php as found on the command line:
>
> php --version

martin@tctestlog:~$ php --version
PHP 5.2.5 (cli) (built: Dec  9 2007 13:01:48)
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
    with Zend Core v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006, by Zend Technologies
    with Zend Extension Manager v1.2.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2007, by Zend Techno
logies
    with Zend Optimizer v3.3.2, Copyright (c) 1998-2007, by Zend Technologies
    with Zend Debugger v5.2.10, Copyright (c) 1999-2007, by Zend Technologies
Segmentation fault

> Unfortunately, I can't offer any further advice on what to do I'm
> afraid. Everything is working fine for me here.

        Not a problem. This has helped me cut through a lot of
bewilderment, better known as wasted time, and that is quite valuable.

        I tried it on FreeBSD Unix, but the system I could
safely try it on wasn't built with linux binary compatibility so
no go there.

        I tried the installation on a Debian system that is a
few years old and it installed without error. It also runs
without a segmentation fault. Unfortunately, this system is
unable to contact the oracle server due to firewalls so I don't
know if the protocol adapter  errors are because it can't talk
to the server or are some other problem.

   PHP Warning:  oci_connect(): ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error in
/home/martin/oscript.php on line 4
ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

        On another ubuntu server system, the install.sh script
fails on line 10 with a "not found" error.  This is a
system that was built near the end of last year and put on line
January 16 of this year.

        Basically, the newer ubuntu systems don't seem to be able to
operate with the Zend binaries. It may be time to cut losses and
explore the possibility of building php from sources in such a
way as to include OCI extensions. I will discuss that in another
message.