RE: Your experience - positive or negative - with Oracle on VMWare...

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx'" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:39:16 -0400

We don't have any production Oracle instances on VMWare but we have some test
and development instances.  We have a lot of SQL Server on VM's.  Oracle
licensing is pretty obtuse about VMWare and I don't see any way to leverage our
Enterprise VMWare license to do anything more with Oracle.  My understanding is
that in regard to VMWare that Oracle wants paid for every CPU on the VM host
whether or not you are using them.  Not so for the Oracle VM.

What is hard to determine, at least for me, is trying to determine beforehand
if there will be any problems with moving a database to VM.  We don't have any
astonishingly large or high-transaction volume systems.  When confronted with
the organizations intent to put as much as possible on VM's I started with less
risky systems and moved to more challenging.  One thing to be considered up
front is that if the system you want to deploy on a VM already is going to take
up more than half of the VM boxes resources based on its existing needs you
will make it pretty hard to fit into the VM.  If the system needs to failover
it needs to move to a box with some reserve capacity.  All of our ESX servers
have only 4CPU's.  We had a lot of servers that were grossly overpowered for
the databases they supported.   It's a lot easier to dial it down on a VM and
match the actual system requirements.

We also experienced a successful failover.  One of the ESX servers failed and
the four test/uat database servers on it moved and restarted successfully.
They were all back up within 15 minutes.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Department of Health
Bureau of Information Technology
2150 Herr Street
Harrisburg, PA 17103
dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Matthew Zito

There was just a pretty good thread on this a few weeks back:

//www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Oracle-products-on-vmware