Re: Wrapping all tables with packages and scalability

  • From: "Nuno Souto" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 22:18:35 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vadim Gorbounov" <v.gorbunov@xxxxxxxxx>

> I wonder, what sort of J2EE env was that and specific set of J2EE/JDBC
> features caused "a lot of meta-data traffic". And how using stored proc
> helped to avoid it?

Last time I looked there was only one J2EE environment?
I didn't say that stored proc helped to avoid traffic, I said that stored
proc WITH object types as parameters helped to avoid it.

Specifically, it was Wesphere as the app server and the excess
traffic was caused by the JDBC driver querying the database for
the meta-data of every column specified in a dynamic SQL statement.
Something that is bypassed if you specify an object type as the
parameter: its contents are not individually checked.

> most cases. Of course, no need for metadata when cursor is already persed
:)

Try using a ref cursor and watch the difference.

> Stored proc , from the other side, do not let us use batch (array)
features,
> restricting scalability.

Yes it does let you use batch and it affects no scalability whatsoever.
Nothing to stop you from using a batch statement returning multiple rows in
ref cursor.  One thing doesn't stop another.  And using stored procedures is
not
a stopper for any other technique nor does it preclude use of any other
technique:
it is completely compatible with any other access to the tables.

> Regarding object types in Oracle - it costs so much CPU on server side,
> there is very subtle chance it can be more efficient than doing all fancy
> object stuff on application side - where it belongs, and let Oracle do
plain
> database job. It is much easier to scale application layer than DB.

You completely misunderstood what I said. I did not say to use Oracle
OBJECTS.  I said to use Oracle Object types.  Which describe an
object's data as a structure, passed to-and fro by JDBC as a single atomic
operation.   And no, NOTHING says that objects have to be manipulated
exclusively on the app side.   Other than the previous limitations of
other databases.  There is NOTHING in the OO theory that says objects should
be manipulated ANYWHERE specific.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia